★ What will this webinar cover?
For many refugee youth and adults, accessing financial aid determines whether or not they will be able to pursue their postsecondary academic goals. While supporting clients in applying for federal financial aid can be a daunting task, having a strong understanding of the policies and processes can make it far less intimidating. In this webinar, participants will learn about federal financial aid opportunities available to ORR-eligible populations, frequently encountered barriers, and strategies and resources for efficiently supporting clients through the application process. It will also include case studies featuring real life scenarios in which participants will identify the specific actions needed for clients to successfully obtain federal financial aid.
The presentation will be followed by a Q&A panel discussion featuring special guests from the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Student Aid Office (FSA) and Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE).
★ Is this webinar for me?
This webinar is aimed at all service providers who work with clients interested in postsecondary education, especially those who have encountered difficulty navigating the financial aid process. It is applicable to those who wish to better understand federal financial aid, including important considerations for refugees, asylees, SIVs, victims of trafficking, and Cuban/Haitian entrants.
★ Why Should I attend?
After participating in this 90-minute session, you will be able to:
• Define key terms related to financial aid and eligibility determinants;
• Summarize federal financial aid opportunities available to ORR-eligible populations;
• Explain how the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is processed and used to determine eligibility and awards;
• Describe common obstacles ORR-eligible individuals encounter while applying for federal financial aid and how to overcome them; and
• Refer clients and colleagues to financial aid resources.